About the workshop
The monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of an organisation’s policies, strategies, operational and development activities provide public sector managers, representatives from international development agencies and civil society as a whole with greatly enhanced means for improving projects and programmes.
Many multilateral and bilateral international development partners use the logical framework approach for project design, so it is important that all local staff involved in monitoring and/or evaluating projects are familiar with this management tool and how to use it. By the end of the workshop you will be able to design an M&E system, set indicators, confidently discuss and produce a logical framework and also take into account the growing use of technology in the M&E environment.
The workshop stresses the importance of the evaluation process, including how data analysis can be used to judge the results of a project, and how these processes help with planning future projects and programmes. It also explores the importance of Value for Money (VfM) indicators in the process. Site visits will give access to academics involved in contemporary data collection and analysis tools and techniques and to other professionals providing monitoring and evaluation services.
Who is it for?
The workshop is designed for all staff who are actively involved in the delivery of development programmes and projects and who wish to learn about the processes and practical elements of good M&E. It will also benefit senior managers responsible for setting up a new, or enhancing an existing, M&E service within their organisations. The workshop will highlight the importance of M&E in providing proof of VfM as key for senior managers in their role of securing and maintaining funding streams. The workshop will also provide an excellent grounding for staff who wish to pursue a career in Monitoring and Evaluation.
How participants will benefit
The workshop will enable you to:
- View the M&E process from end to end
- Establish the basics for setting up an M&E facility
- See how M&E can be used in a variety of environments
- Improve the operation and management of the M&E function
- Gain an insight into the use of current data management tools
- Improve the effectiveness of the M&E process to help assess programme impacts and give assurance to existing and potential donors
- Contribute to the achievement of desired development goals and ensure ‘early warning’ and other strategies for preventing failures
Please view our Brochure 2018 (opens in a PDF document)